5 Amazing Mother’s Day Marketing Ideas [+Free Templates]
First published on April 28, 2018. Updated on May 6, 2019.
According to the National Retail Federation, Mother’s Day is the third highest-grossing seasonal event in the United States. For many online retailers, it’s a great opportunity to go big on marketing creative.
How can you leverage the opportunity and promote your brand this Mother’s Day, without appearing too salesy?
Here are three amazing marketing ideas to drive your marketing initiative this Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day marketing idea #1. Run a social media contest
People loooove giveaways and free stuff. So, running a contest in exchange for a treat from your brand or company is always a great idea.
- It helps you spread the word about your brand
- It creates a bond between you and your audience
- It provides you with tons of user-generated content that you can later use for your marketing activities
The social media contest for Mother’s Day doesn’t have to be anything fancy. Simply ask your followers to share their stories or pictures with a certain hashtag.
Pro tip: make sure the hashtag is unique. It will make the process of finding relevant posts and choosing winners so much easier! In order to check whether your hashtag is unique, simply type it in in the search field in your platform of choice.
Idea #2. Share interesting ideas and stats in a blog post
Another great marketing idea to dwell on this Mother’s Day is creating a blog post. Blogging is my actually my favorite marketing activity: it helps educate the audience and bring value without being too pushy or salesy.
Here are some Mother’s Day blog post ideas you could write on, depending on your niche:
- Mother’s Day: interesting facts and stats
- How to choose flowers for your Mom this Mother’s Day
- Best restaurants to visit on Mother’s Day in [your location]
- How to make an online ecard and warm your Mom’s heart this Mother’s Day
- 5 best Mother’s Day marketing campaigns we have ever seen
- 62 inexpensive Mother’s Day gift ideas
To take things even further, it might be a good idea to create a video and promote your blog post on social. Smart repurposing can go a long way!
Pro tip: every social platform has its own regulations as to how long a social video might be. Read this blog post to find out more about the optimal video length for different social networks.
Idea #3. Run a social media ad campaign
Despite the vast variety of all the digital channels, paid ads are still one of the most effective ways to drive traffic to your website or blog, build brand awareness, and generate leads. In this regard, running a video ad campaign is a great marketing idea this Mother’s Day.
Why necessarily a video ad?
Because video is a hot topic these days. Marketers don’t get tired of repeating that video is the new black in the marketing world. And if you do want traffic and customers, video is what you want to be doing.
However, not all video ads are created equal. Try experimenting with different platforms and formats. For instance, have you tried using Instagram for business yet? Placing ads in Instagram Stories works especially well for retail businesses and brands.
Idea #4. Share an inspirational quote
We might have different opinions on them but here’s the fact: Twitter users who tweet quotes have 43% more followers than those who don’t. Sharing inspirational quotes on social is a great opportunity to engage with your audience without being overly self-promotional.
There are dozens of websites with some great Mother’s Day quote collections. To take it a step further, turn the quote into a short video and share it on social.
A few tips on posting visual quotes
- Find fresh and original quotes. Nobody wants to see another what-doesn’t-kill-you-make-you-stronger message in their feed.
- Be relatable to your audience. If your followers are not accustomed to seeing content like Mother’s Day visual quotes from you, it might be wiser to abstain. Instead, you can simply wish them a happy Mother’s Day or try any other Mother’s Day marketing idea.
- Make sure your visual content is appealing. With all the content that you share with your audience, you always want to put your best foot forward. Make sure your visual quote looks attractive and nice. If you are not sure where to start, try using video templates.
Idea #5. Congratulate your audience with a beautiful video
According to Twitter, video is 6 times more likely to be retweeted than image, let alone a plain text tweet. To show your followers you care this Mother’s Day, post a simple and beautiful video on your social channels. The video doesn’t have to be anything fancy: think of it as a video card.
To make the video more catchy, make sure to add music and animated GIFs or stickers. They will show your audience that you speak their language and will help make your video more engaging and fun.
Over to you
What other marketing ideas for Mother’s Day can you think of? Share in the comments below!